14

The White Stripes
Get Behind Me, Satan

This year was the usual deal with The White Stripes for me: I wasn’t going to buy the album, then I end up not being able to resist, and it turned out to be really great after all, but still not as great as everyone else keeps telling me it is. That’s the third time I’ve done the same routine.
They are a special band, no question, and ‘Blue Orchid’ may well be my favourite ever White Stripes track. The other classic on here is ‘Take Take Take’ which I think is a lyrical gem. Indeed the whole album is full of good songs. I am glad they have moved on from their traditional blueprint a bit, because although Elephant took things on from White Blood Cells, I wonder if another album of the same might just have been a step too far. The introduction of more instruments has helped, as has the branching out into more innovative song structures. This might even be my favourite White Stripes album (though that might be Elephant, I’m not sure). Both brilliant and overrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home