Films Of The Year
This really is bonus content! Nothing to do with music at all, here are my top 3 films released this year…
03.
Detroit: Ruin Of A City
This is a documentary which I guess makes it on here because it means something particular to me. It was released when I was in Michigan (not sure if it came out here at all), and ironically I saw it the day before I went to visit Detroit. It gave me a deep insight into the problems and the people, and made me understand what I was about to embark on. This film is far from perfect: it is over long and a bit disorderly as documentaries go. Nonetheless, this is still very powerful stuff. Not one to go and rent for the weekend, mind. Shocking, but very human, this is lovingly made by locals who clearly want to make some kind of difference to their home. A home which is undeniably fucked.
02.
Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
The best Star Wars film for over twenty years was still frustrating for me. Maybe improving on the originals is just not possible, but I guess I hoped for something that would at least come close. Still, this is satisfyingly darker than the other prequels, and is a much more coherent piece of work. Still, some of the acting is so bad that I was squirming in the cinema (one scene of Natalie Portman’s in particular springs to mind). Overall a really enjoyable third disappointment in a row from Mr Lucas.
01.
Sin City
By far my favourite film of the year, this is just bloody wicked. It looks fantastic, the characters are all so brilliantly realised, the plots are great, the action immense (Marv jumping feet first through the windscreen of a moving Police car was perdy cool). Sexy gals, really psychotic villains…er, and heroes too. I never read any of Frank Miller’s Sin City comics, but I get the feeling that this is completely spot on in bringing them to the big screen. This is nasty, cool, sexy, and all round bloody awesome. I loved every second. Robert Rodriguez makes amends for the shitty One Upon A Time In Mexico (not to mention the Spy Kids franchise) with what is his best film yet. An instant classic.
Detroit: Ruin Of A City
This is a documentary which I guess makes it on here because it means something particular to me. It was released when I was in Michigan (not sure if it came out here at all), and ironically I saw it the day before I went to visit Detroit. It gave me a deep insight into the problems and the people, and made me understand what I was about to embark on. This film is far from perfect: it is over long and a bit disorderly as documentaries go. Nonetheless, this is still very powerful stuff. Not one to go and rent for the weekend, mind. Shocking, but very human, this is lovingly made by locals who clearly want to make some kind of difference to their home. A home which is undeniably fucked.
02.
Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
The best Star Wars film for over twenty years was still frustrating for me. Maybe improving on the originals is just not possible, but I guess I hoped for something that would at least come close. Still, this is satisfyingly darker than the other prequels, and is a much more coherent piece of work. Still, some of the acting is so bad that I was squirming in the cinema (one scene of Natalie Portman’s in particular springs to mind). Overall a really enjoyable third disappointment in a row from Mr Lucas.
01.
Sin City
By far my favourite film of the year, this is just bloody wicked. It looks fantastic, the characters are all so brilliantly realised, the plots are great, the action immense (Marv jumping feet first through the windscreen of a moving Police car was perdy cool). Sexy gals, really psychotic villains…er, and heroes too. I never read any of Frank Miller’s Sin City comics, but I get the feeling that this is completely spot on in bringing them to the big screen. This is nasty, cool, sexy, and all round bloody awesome. I loved every second. Robert Rodriguez makes amends for the shitty One Upon A Time In Mexico (not to mention the Spy Kids franchise) with what is his best film yet. An instant classic.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home