The ‘Close But No Cigar’ Awards
These are some of the great albums of 2005 that were eligible for the list but didn’t quite make it. The worthy losers, if you will:
The Dandy WarholsOdditorium Or Warlords Of Mars
Initially I was really disappointed with this. I discovered The Dandy Warhols in early 2004, and fell really in love with Welcome To The Monkey House, and then later with 13 Tales From Urban Bohemia. This is nowhere near as accessible as those albums. It took me a long while to find my way into this, but even having done so, it doesn’t quite have enough to make the list. This ends up being filed in the ‘excellent background music’ category: peaceful and uplifting, great to work to. Far from their best work, I nonetheless think it’s impressive that they have branched out again and I will no doubt buy their next offering.
When it’s good, it is really great. I heard the singles and bought this, but as it turns out, the singles are by far the best tracks. Simply not consistent enough an album to make the top 20, I have still really enjoyed it, and think that if the Kaiser Chiefs could manage an album of songs of the quality of ‘I Predict A Riot’ or ‘Oh My God’ then they would have to be taken very seriously indeed. In addition, while they were not at Leeds with me, I saw them on the TV at virtually every other festival this summer, and they clearly kicked ass at each and every one. They must be so fun to see live. Note to self: see the Kaiser Chiefs live. As for the album: promising and great fun, but not there yet.
Cave InPerfect Pitch Black
This came out with no singles, press or publicity at all. Cave In are in a mood. Reading the album notes it is obvious that they felt disillusioned with their music and themselves after they decided to go more commercial (with their Antenna album) in a bid for some success that never came. By their own admission, this is the sound of a band wanting to rebel against sales figures and radio play. In some ways this has improved Cave In, because they are now free to do whatever they like: violent instrumental ‘Ataraxia’ is my favourite ever track by them, and ‘Screaming In Your Sleep’ is passionate rock thunder of really high quality. It sounds like they are really enjoying themselves, which can only be a good thing. Unfortunately, this newfound desire to be contrary buggers has also led them to resort to unnecessary measures to actively drive away their audience. The most obvious manifestation of this for me is the use of crappy hardcore growling on about a third of the tracks, a noise which is not great at the best of times. Acceptable if used in the right context, this vocal style is at odds with Cave In’s music and ultimately taints this album too much for me to give it a top 20 placing. Having said that, there are real quality moments here. Freedom from giving a shit has brought out the best in Cave In. Unfortunately, it has also brought out the worst in them. For me, the understated, underrated Tides Of Tomorrow ep remains their finest hour.
(Come On Fell The) Illinoise
This year the dubious honour of coming 21st in my rankings goes to Sufjan Stevens, that little weirdo from Michigan who is growing in popularity all the time. This is a sweet and thoughtful acoustic album which is the second in Sufjan’s US State odyssey (where he makes an album based on the life and culture of every US State). I bought its predecessor, Greetings From Michigan, and so was really happy when someone gave me a copy of this. The title track is life affirming brilliance, and ‘Chicago’ is a wonderful musical representation of a wonderful city. My favourite track of his.
The reason it doesn’t make the top 20 is because there are a few of the tracks here that are not quite up to it and drag slightly: Greetings From Michigan is for me a more consistent effort (though I might think that just because I had that first, I’m not sure). Similarly, Illinoise is a more happy album than its predecessor, which I’m not so keen on. Still Sufjan himself points out this is just because he thinks Illinois is a happier place to live than Michigan…
Despite some reservations, this is a great album full of his trademark lyrical originality and insight. It certainly compares favourably with most records of the same type (though it’s nowhere near as good as The Hotel Alexis). Truly an example of close but no cigar…
The reason it doesn’t make the top 20 is because there are a few of the tracks here that are not quite up to it and drag slightly: Greetings From Michigan is for me a more consistent effort (though I might think that just because I had that first, I’m not sure). Similarly, Illinoise is a more happy album than its predecessor, which I’m not so keen on. Still Sufjan himself points out this is just because he thinks Illinois is a happier place to live than Michigan…
Despite some reservations, this is a great album full of his trademark lyrical originality and insight. It certainly compares favourably with most records of the same type (though it’s nowhere near as good as The Hotel Alexis). Truly an example of close but no cigar…



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home